Learn more about this project by Webster Groves Home Builders Hibbs Homes
Today, we’re sharing a video tour of a custom home we built in Webster Groves, Missouri.
Active House is the first international residential building certification that primarily focuses on post-construction sustainability such as energy efficiency, indoor air quality, comfort & local environment. During the first year in residence, the homeowners have allowed the University of Missouri’s MEERC to monitor energy consumption, indoor air quality & anecdotal data. This data is being shared with the Active House Alliance, National Association of Home Builders Home Innovations Lab & local utilities to improve green building globally.
Features of this custom home include:
Here are some of the features that make Active House USA an innovative home:
- Utilizes five energy sources, solar panels, solar thermal (water), natural gas, electricity, and daylight, that operate in tandem at peak efficiency.
- 100% Energy STAR rated appliances & lights.
- Low-e windows & doors throughout.
- Hardie Siding & custom flagstone made from recycled materials by a local company
- SIP’s panel construction, R-25 value for walls and R-45 value for roof
- Daylight & solar orientation are central to the home’s design & energy profile, and the central staircase brings natural light through all three floors of the home.
- Sun tunnels, skylights & Low-E windows positioned to utilize daylight as an energy source.
- A central home monitoring system gauges conditions indoors & out to adjust ventilation & HVAC system to perform at the peak of comfort & efficiency.
- Skylights equipped with sensors & shades tie into Energy Recovery Ventilator system for ventilation and light.
- HERS score of 29 means it is more energy efficient than 71% of standard new construction homes.
- Exceeding building codes into 2020, the home built to easily accommodate new technology to reduce future construction needs & provide an outstanding equity position well into the future.
- The garage features two alternative fueling outfits: an electric charging station & compressed natural gas station.
- Repurposed countertops throughout, including a planned countertop in the kitchen made from recovered construction materials
- Flooring and cabinetry made from sustainable materials and uses no-VOC adhesives & stains.
- Low-flow plumbing with hot water provided by a solar thermal system.
These are just a few of the energy efficient features of this Webster Groves custom home. Click here to learn more about all of this home’s high-performance features.
What’s it like to live in an Active House?
At the three-year anniversary of the completion of Active House USA, we followed up with the Smith Family to see what life has been like in this unique green home. Read more about life in Active House USA:
The owners of one of North America’s most energy-efficient homes share their experience living in this unique home…