In this episode, Danni and Kim talk with two experts in high performance or “green" home building- author and green building expert Matt Belcher, and Kyle Smith of Geocomfort Geothermal. They’re talking about the benefits of building green – both to the environment and to your bottom line budget.
In this episode, they talk about:
- How to build a more efficient home from the ground up
- The importance of insulation & attention to the thermal envelope
- Options and levels of energy efficiency
- Geothermal and solar tax credits
- What certifications & qualification to look for when considering a green home builder
- Solar shingles & emerging technologies in high performance home building
- The real ROI/savings of green building – lower maintenance, utility bills, higher home resale value
- Home Energy Scores & Certifications – RESNET, Energy Star, LEED, HERS
Better is Better.
You’ve probably heard us say that we build “better homes." What exactly do we mean by better?
Our homes are built better from the ground up. We focus first and foremost on building a home with a tighter thermal envelope. This means that we are ensuring that your home is built to prevent energy and air leaks and moisture infiltration.
Typically-built homes lose up to 40% of their heating and cooling because of duct leaks, poor insulation, or drafty windows and doors.
Once we have ensured that the exterior thermal envelope of your home is built to our standards, we further protect your home with thorough caulking and sealing, advanced insulating techniques and higher grade windows and doors throughout.